Amigos, the Richmond Latino Center is seeking a Full-Time VOCA Advocate to begin October 2022.
VOCA Advocate Job Description
Position Title: Amigos VOCA Advocate Date: October 2022
Reports to: Executive Director Schedule: Full time
Amigos Latino Center will collaborate with A Better Way (ABW) Richmond to support and provide guidance to the Amigos VOCA Advocate to provide culturally appropriate education, advocacy and case management for Latinx women and their children in Richmond, IN who have been victims of domestic violence.
Summary: The Amigos VOCA Advocate will provide culturally appropriate education, advocacy and case management for Latinx WOMEN including crisis intervention, safety planning, medical and legal advocacy. The Amigos VOCA Advocate will connect Latinx WOMEN and their children with resources for Emergency Assistance. The Amigos VOCA Advocate will work alongside A Better Way (ABW) Richmond staff and will follow a regular weekly schedule as decided on by the Amigos VOCA Advocate, Amigos Executive Director, and ABW Richmond Site Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish culturally appropriate educational programming for Latinx women and their children who have been victims of domestic violence
- Recruit and identify Latinx women who have been a victim of domestic violence and assess their need for assistance
- Advertise the Amigos VOCA program via posters, emails, visits (court room, police, etc)
- Provide culturally appropriate education, advocacy and case management for Latinx women including crisis intervention, safety planning, medical and legal advocacy
- Conduct crisis intervention via phone and in person for abused Latinx Women and their children, non-residential, including completing ABW intakes.
- Develop a plan of action with clients and document conversations appropriately for both Amigo’s and ABW
- Interface with criminal justice system by working cooperatively and providing education on domestic violence and sexual assault
- Assist victims with protective orders, accompany victims to court or other legal appointments
- Transport clients and their children as necessary for intakes, crisis work, school, work, court, and other needs.
- Represent Amigos and ABW through public speaking, meeting attendance, workshops, and presentations
- Provide translation/interpretation as needed
- Be available for phone calls, texts, and visits
- Participate in educational workshops with A Better Way and other organizations such as ICJI
- Track education and outreach activities and gather feedback
- Compile data, complete and submit required paperwork
- Maintain client confidentiality
- Collect information for statistical reports
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, including written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to provide culturally appropriate services to victims of domestic crime.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of domestic violence and complexity of problems surrounding the issue
- Strong organizational, listening and writing skills.
- Flexibility and excellent teamwork skills.
- Ability to stay calm in stressful situations
- Problem solving skills.
- Have a valid driver’s license and willingness to transport others
- BA in social work, education, or related field.
Are you interested in this offer?
Leave us a message and we will get in touch with you